Booty Obtained!

Gee, I thought I might spend the rest of my life in Millenocket, ME, mulling about in the attic of the old lodge.  It is all things beautiful and quaint and ghostly.

The building was originally built as a lodge in 1901

There are all of these little rooms and lots of crawl space!  The spaces are opened and closed by little doors!  This is the creepiest thing for me.  I come from a place where “crawl space” doesn’t exist within the house.  I didn’t have an attic or a basement, so I’m fascinated by them.  Most of the rooms are unoccupied, but kept perfectly clean and orderly.  There were a few old beer bottles left in the creepy, dark crawl space though.  Hmm…I wonder how many rooms there are in this lodge.  …There must be at least twenty.  (See the pic of the red house in yesterday’s post).

And people have been comin through! First there was Atom and Magic Stick, two older guys whom I thought were gay, but talked about their wives and kids.  Guess that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not gay though.  Whatever.  They were really nice and offered me lots of tips.  Rosemary was in the lodge for a day.  Last night spent watching the world cup (NED/URU) with Nolan and Skippy.  Today I watched the game (ESP/GER) with a girl called Schlep.  The trail names are a funny thing.  It’s said that you either pick one or the people you travel with for a time will give you one.  I came here already telling everyone my name is Andrea, but only because Hope Kitts didn’t show up for the reservations she made a few days earlier.  So irresponsible.  (haha).  But I’m not going to stick with “Andrea”.  It feels weird for people to call me by it and they don’t seem to remember my name the first time, like usual.  I feel unusually normal.  But my pseudonomyous existance is understood by many on this path.

I’ve been in this town for five days now and my view of it has changed at least that many times.  The best part so far has been meeting different people for short periods of time and connecting over various things: Soccer, hiking stories and trivial pursuit.  But I’m glad to be moving on.  Wait, let me put that in caps.  BUT I’M GLAD TO BE MOVING ON!

Main Street

Did I mention I’ve been here for five days?  Well, thanks to The Ra the booties arrived!  I’ve documented the opening of said booties for your viewing pleasure.

And inside were…

BOOTS!

To my readers: I vow that more spectacular photographs are to follow.  But we must appreciate a good boot, right?  The journey begins one step at a time.  Also to my readers: I vow that I will keep all cliches to a minimum, except when they are really, really true.

Okay, so now to get the darn heck outta Millinocket.  Tomorrow starts at 6:30 a.m.  when I get a ride–with about five other people–to the start of the trail and hike Mt. Katahdin.  It is about ten miles with a 5,000 ft incline packed into four miles.  Other hikers’ pictures show steep, rocky ascents.  The 50 (or so) pound pack gets left at the ranger’s station at the bottom because the trail itself actually continues south.  I hope it is not too hot and humid out.  It should be true camping from there until who-knows-when.  More stories to come.  Stay tuned (subscribe!).

Ok, one more boot pic.

Boom!

Advertisements

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Gerry From EMS on July 7, 2010 - 7:06 pm

Hey I know those boots! Glad you didnt decide to do Katadin in flippity flops!

• #2 by andromedakitts on July 28, 2010 - 1:26 pm

That would have been a disaster! 🙂 I’m still getting blisters after three weeks! My blisters have blisters! 🙂 haha! It’s ok though, I’ll have those boots for a long time. I am starting to crave something a bit lighter though, but it’s probably worth it to have the durability and ankle support. Oh, and I should have gone with a 65 litre pack–the 85 is a lot. But that was my reasoning that it would be better to have the option to carry more. I’m obsessed with my pack weight! It’s pretty good though. With 3 days of food (no water) it weighs 33 lbs. Not bad, I think. 🙂 How is you summer so far? Any camping trips with the family?

2. #3 by Ra on July 9, 2010 - 4:12 pm

Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebie!
    This was both sad and amazing to read. Love the pics–so cuuuuute. Sorry I don’t want to revolt everyone out there. Oh crap–NY is melting into the Atlantic. It fucking sucks. It’s Sodom and Gomorrah (I may have spelled that wrong). Btw I notice you spelled existence wrong–way to go teach! 😉 woah a dick to then en(d)-(th) degree! This place lacks Hope Kitts. It is nothing without you. Get in touch now–ya heah!

3. #4 by Dave J on July 11, 2010 - 9:40 am

Hey Hope:

It’s Dave from BASE. Just wanted to let you know that I didn’t forget about your blog. I just spent a relaxing morning: drinking coffee and catching up with your journey. I’ll be following along as you go. Keep updating and be safe. I’m both envious and intimidated by this whole adventure. Looking forward to hearing what happens next!

-dave

• #5 by andromedakitts on July 28, 2010 - 1:22 pm

Dave! Thanks for keeping up with it! I was so jealous when I read that you have been drinking good coffee: That’s one thing I really miss. I’ve been limited to the instant and general store coffee-flavored water for weeks now! Oh, what I would do for a good latte. 🙂

4. #6 by Noah Frere on September 24, 2010 - 7:51 am

i too have finally this morning, Sept. 24th, started reading these. i’m 3 months behind but catching up fast! i also have coffee, but dont be jealous – it was a disaster: clogged outspout, broken filters, grinds in the cup, bitter.